Thursday, July 20, 2023

For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not afflict from his heart or grieve the children of men.

Lamentations 3

For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not afflict from his heart or grieve the children of men. Lamentations 3:31-33.

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-five - Lover of God’s Sovereignty with Tears for the Lost.  Here, John Piper loves and admires Paul for how he understood the complexity of how God is both fully in control over all the details of creation, including the details of our lives, and deeply compassionate for the lost.  First John Piper provides scriptural examples of where Paul describes God's sovereignty, including Romans 9:15-18, 11:36, Ephesians 1:11, and 1 Corinthians 3:6. Piper then moves to show Paul's anguish over the lost, referring us to Romans 9:1-3 and 10:1.  In his anguish, Paul is hopeful because he understands God's sovereignty and power to overcome obstacles to save the lost - Piper emphasizes this hope.  Piper wraps the chapter by pointing us to Lamentations 3:31-33 where he sees "the sovereignty and the compassion of God interwoven in one glorious fabric of justice and mercy*." 

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are good - full of love and mercy for all, including myself - despite my sin that You have washed away and the patience for my ongoing disobedience as my sin continues.  Thank You Jesus.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.