Tuesday, July 4, 2023

For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him.

1 Thessalonians 5

For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter nine - My Friend with the Best News during Cancer.  Here, John Piper shares the intimate details of his battle with prostrate cancer and how he learned to lean on Paul's words from 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10.  Piper chains together the logic that gave him great hope though this trial.  He starts by describing how God is in control (Romans 11:36, Ephesians 1:11).  He then moves to the text specifically in 1 Thessalonians 5:9-10 where it says "God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation."  Salvation is then clarified - by looking at the remainder of the text - of course as being eternal and not saved necessarily from cancer itself.  Piper then answers a key question - how did he know that his cancer was not God's punishment for his sins?  He responds by saying "because Christ already died for my sins. Cancer or no cancer, death or life, Paul told me that I was going to “obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for [you].*"  We are referred to John 3:36, Romans 8:1, 3 for additional support. Salvation is then further clarified by describing it as living eternally with Jesus as "that I will live forever, since the One I live with cannot die*" (see also Romans 6:9). The encouragement afforded in this promise is emphasized by Piper as we "get to live forever with the One who loved me enough to die for me*".  As he wraps the chapter, Piper points us to 1 Thessalonians 5:8 where such salvation is described as a "helmet" protecting us from harm and offering hope. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has died for our sins taking the wrath that we deserve and giving us salvation instead - something we don't deserve.  Thank You for this hope and protection.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.