Tuesday, July 18, 2023

As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1

As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed. Galatians 1:9

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-three - Zeal for Gospel Accuracy, Slow to Take Personal Offense.  Here, John Piper loves and admires Paul for how he takes offense for both preaching inaccurate gospel and impure motives for preaching the gospel.  For the former, Piper describes how Paul is quick to be - rightfully so - angry at those who warp and twist the gospel and preach inaccurately from the Good News of Jesus Christ.  For the latter, Piper describes how Paul tactfully admonishes those who preach with impure motives.  He is less concerned with personal offense - therefore as Piper says Paul is "slow to take personal offense." 

Piper starts by pointing to Galatians as "Paul's most severe letter*" as Paul is angry at those teaching a "different gospel that sounds Christ-honoring, but which Paul knows cannot save the sinful soul*."  We are referred to Galatians 1:6-9 where Paul accursed those teaching this false gospel.  Piper then turns to those who preach more accurately yet with impure motives, pointing us to Philippians 1:15-18.  Here Piper shares how Paul is more concerned with the sheep versus the wolves: "the Philippian situation really does present an opportunity for personal resentment, but Paul doesn’t take it. He rejoices*."  Piper chalks this up to how Paul is "wonderfully principled rather than easily irritated at personal offenses. The Galatian false teachers were ruining people by perverting the gospel itself.  The Philippian rascals were preaching the very gospel Paul preached (at least, he raised no objections), but they were doing it precisely because he couldn’t, and they wanted him to be irritated. This Paul could handle. It was the purity of the gospel that mattered, not whether his feelings got hurt.*" Piper wraps the chapter by explaining how Paul more tactfully "circled back" with those who preached the gospel with impure motives - pointing us to Philippians 2:3-4.

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides the Word for me to grow closer to You, become more obedient, be transformed into Your likeness and You provide teachers such as Paul who are incredible Godly models for believers - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You do all of this for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.