Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Philippians 2

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Philippians 2:12-13

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter sixteen - Reveling in God’s Power in and through Ours.  Here, John Piper highlights how Paul encourages us to see how God's sovereignty and believers' wills do not conflict and work against each other but instead in concert.  Piper first starts by presupposing God's sovereignty over all matters in earth and heaven, pointing to Ephesians 1:11 and Romans 8:28.  He then provides the following texts as examples that describe God's will and our will working together:

Piper writes about these passages: "What is so striking about this way of seeing reality is that God’s decisive, sovereign rule in the world and in our lives is not a hindrance but a help in doing what he calls us to do. God’s sovereignty does not make us fatalists. It does not paralyze us and make us say, “What will be will be.” It does not disillusion us with the meaninglessness of an impersonal cosmos. Instead, it empowers us to exert all our will and all our energy because we know this is how God works in the world— through people. God’s pervasive rule in the world gives us hope that nothing is meaningless.*"

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are so good and I have seen Your hand and will in my life and how Your will and my will together work for Your glory - amazing!  I am not deserving of how You do all of this and bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from and overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.