Friday, July 21, 2023

More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Romans 5

More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation. Romans 5:11

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-six - Apostle of the Happy God and the Hard Life of Spreading   Joy.  Here, John Piper loves and admires Paul for his joy in Christ and consequently his love of others such that "his aim was their joy*" in Christ. First, Piper shares how it is an uncommon combination of traits for Paul to posses a great intellect, be logically rigorous, careful and cerebral in thought - yet deeply happy and joy...in all circumstances.  Of course God is the source of this happiness and joy.  Piper describes how God is happy, pointing to Jesus's parable of the prodigal son (Luke 15:22-24) and how the Master "welcomes his servants home*" into the joy of your master (Matthew 25:21).  He further describes that "Paul knew that a gloomy God could not be the source, let alone the center, of all-satisfying good news. No. If Jesus came into the world with “good news of great joy,” as the angels said (Luke 2:10), then God is not a gloomy God, but a God of overflowing joy.*"  This joy is the result of how joy originates in God through His Son Jesus.  Piper then moves to share how the focus of Paul's ministry was to bring others into this same joy, referring us to Philippians 1:23-26.  Piper makes a point of saying that "Paul is not ashamed to sum up his ministry goal as 'for your joy.'*"  He makes this point because he sees that joy is the "essence*" of what Christians are to pursue, explaining that "Christianity is a divine project of replacing inferior joys in inferior objects with superior joys in God himself. That is why Christ came to die. He died to remove every barrier (like God’s wrath and our sin) between us and God so that we could say with Paul, “We . .  . rejoice in God” (Romans 5:11).*"  Piper closes the chapter by answering why 1 Corinthians 13:13 does not explicitly mention joy as key - Piper shares that it does not have to because "[l]ove is the overflow of joy in God that seeks to meet the needs of others, especially the need of eternal joy.*"

*John Piper. 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me, and a God who gives me great joy in You - the One True God.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings and joy.  I am not deserving of such love.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.