Monday, July 17, 2023

For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him.

2 Corinthians 2

For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him. 2 Corinthians 2:6-8

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter twenty-two - Backbone, Blunt, and Beautifully Affirming.  Here, John Piper admires and loves Paul for demonstrating a unique ability to encourage and affirm while also being "blunt and forceful when necessary*."  Piper first describes Paul's ability to encourage and affirm by pointing to 1 Corinthians 1:4-9 (despite the challenges described by Piper in the church in Corinth: "conflicts over leaders, church discipline, food offered to pagan idols, the Lord’s Supper, the role of women in worship, the use of spiritual gifts, and more*") and 1 Thessalonians 2:7-8.  Piper then moves to describe Paul's ability to be blunt and forceful in the face of sin, etc by pointing to 1 Corinthians 11:17.  Piper also shares how being blunt and forceful has its limitations, saying how when we rebuke and correct it should be limited - "brief and redemptive*."  For this, Piper reminds us that we should be full of grace and forgiveness.  On this latter count, Piper refers us to 2 Corinthians 2:6-8.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good - that You are SO full of grace and forgiveness for me - I am not deserving of such grace.  My sin is great indeed...and daily.  Please forgive me for my lack of grace and encouragement of others.  Help me turn from and overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.