Monday, July 3, 2023

...Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.

Revelation 5

...Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth. Revelation 5:9-10

I continue my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul.  Today, I move to chapter eight - From Rabid Ethnic Arrogance to Herald of Deepest Reconciliation.  Here, John Piper describes and provides a scriptural basis for how Paul becomes an example of Jesus's efforts to reconcile all of humanity to Him through death on the cross.  Piper first shares how he was not unlike Paul in how he was hostile to others - in Paul's case to early followers of Jesus, and in Piper's case to African Americans. Yet in one moment on the road to Damascus, Paul's conversion led to share how all of the status and recognition he had gained as a leading Pharisee was "rubbish" in comparison to Christ (Philippians 3:7-8). Paul recognized that Christ's death on the cross reconciled all to God, regardless of race, ethnicity, etc. - see also Ephesians 2:13-18.  Piper then goes on to refer us to Colossians 3:11 and 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 where unity and peace among all is described and how reaching all removes any barriers as we are to adapt to where others are to save them. Piper continues to unpack Paul's efforts to bring about peace as believers become a new creation - see 2 Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 4:24, 2:15 - where we ALL are in God's image with believers becoming more like Him.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has given me brothers and sisters in Christ who share a love of You and how this creates between us a unity and peace where we are able to remove racial and ethnic barriers.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You do this for me and with those whom I share a love of You.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.