Saturday, July 29, 2023

Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.

Revelation 6

Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been. Revelation 6:11

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at martyrdom not just as it existed during the first three centuries of the church's existence, but now as well as many continue to suffer this fate today (for more see Voices of the Martyrs ministry).  Piper describes God's role in martyrdom as "a sovereign God who said there is an appointed number of martyrs. They have a special role to play in planting and empowering the church. They have a special role to play in shutting the mouth of Satan, who constantly says that the people of God serve him only because life goes better." Piper refers us to Job 1:9-11 as an example of a man that was entirely in God's hands and protected as Satan incorrectly believed that Job would curse God as he lost his family and wealth.  Job stood firm in the faith - for more of John Piper on job - go here.  Piper wraps his devotion by sharing: "[m]artyrdom is not something accidental. It is not taking God off guard. It is not unexpected. And it is emphatically not a strategic defeat for the cause of Christ. It may look like defeat. But it is part of a plan in heaven that no human strategist would ever conceive or could ever design. And this plan will triumph for all those who endure to the end by faith in God’s all-sufficient grace."  While most of us will not experience martyrdom as some do, we can do as John Piper seeks for us to respond by (1) affirm with all our hearts the absolute sovereignty of God, (2) let your tears flow freely when your calamity comes, and (3) trust in the goodness of God, and let him be your treasure and your joy.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who is sovereign and regardless of the trials and suffering I experience I know You exist, never leave or forsake me, and that I am sealed for eternity giving me the confidence to stand firm in my faith.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.