Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Matthew 5

Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. v48

In the context of this sermon - the sermon on the mount - Jesus wants his children to love everyone (good or evil).  

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? v43-47

The analogy is very clear - Jesus does not say that some people of worthy of His love and some people are not.  Everyone is deserving is His love.  Who are WE to say that some people are not worthy of His love.  When we don't love others as Jesus did we are either explicitly or implicitly saying that WE know who is deserving of love and we decide that some people are not deserving...this is not only not right it is sinful.  We are not to judge NOR are we to withhold love.

On the point of withholding love, we need to strive to love and BE as Jesus is.  This is I believe the point in v48 where we are pushed to grow in Christ.  This same point is made in Hebrews as posted here.

My Prayer: Lord, You love me before I loved You and You picked me before I picked You.  Despite how I refused to love You and then I did...only barely.  Even now my love falls short of what You command.  Thank You that You love me anyway.  What a great God.  You are full of compassion and love.  Please forgive me for withholding love...especially from those closest to me.  Help me love and BE more like You Jesus.