Monday, July 22, 2013

When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi.

Matthew 2

When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi. v16

What is interesting is that the Magi did not outwit Herod, they simply listened to a warning from God:


And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route. v12

A similar warning was given to Joseph:

When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.” v13

and then again...

After Herod died, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt and said, “Get up, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who were trying to take the child’s life are dead.” v19-20 

When circumstances don't go my way, do I see things as directed by God or as "I did not get what I was hoping for?"

I think of the story of Joseph who makes the best of his circumstances.  I also think of the following verse:

...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thess 5:18

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are Lord of all, capable of anything, reigning over everything, knowing everything, and defined by love, mercy, kindness, etc.  You love and bless me beyond my imagination and beyond what I deserve...what a great God!  I am not worthy nor deserving.  I sin - I am not pleasing as a worker as You command nor as You intend.  I know You love me anyway, so thank You Jesus.  But please forgive me.  Help me be the man You intend me to be.