Tuesday, July 16, 2013

But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 1

But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. v20

God uses all of who we are and what we do...he forgives sin and he redeems it for His glory.  Here Joseph and Mary are selected by God (there is no randomness about God's plan) to bring us Jesus.  It took a special couple to do this and here you get a sense of the compassion of Joseph:

Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet[e] did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. v19

Perhaps Joseph got angry but there is no indication of his anger here...just compassion.  He thought of Mary, even in light of what he perceived as her sin.  While Joseph is of course not perfect, he is who God used as the earthly father for Jesus.  Notice also how Joseph is selfless once again:

But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son.

There is no biological reason why Joseph and Mary had to wait to consummate their marriage but they wait.  Specifically this says that Joseph waited....9 months.  This is certainly anti-thetical to how most men would react - I doubt they would be this patient and selfless.  I suppose fear of the Lord played a factor but this wears off and during the pregnancy Joseph's patience was tested and then some as he was probably the object of scorn and ridicule in his town.

Joseph is in many ways the model of faithfulness to one's spouse.

My Prayer: Lord, Your wisdom knows no limits...there is nothing You don't know and You are able to resolve all challenges big and small.  You are also willing to hear from Your children about all challenges big and small.  You LONG to hear from us.  You are jealous for us.  What a great God You are - so full of love!  I am not worthy of such love - I sin.  I am lazy and harsh with my words.  Thank You that You love me but please Jesus forgive me.  Help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me also have a bold and daring faith.