Monday, July 15, 2013

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah.

Matthew 1

Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Messiah. v17

The start of Matthew provides a broad brush overview of how Jesus came about.  There is God's plan to create a strong and powerful nation to glorify and serve Him, then there is sin and evil by the Israelites and so God punishes the Israelites through division and exile.  Then He restores all of us - Jews and Gentiles - through the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Matthew's account of the geneaology here is a reminder of who God is.
  • He is a great God that wants great things for His children
  • He is just and merciful
  • He is full of love, patience, and compassion for all 
  • His plan is perfect
Of course there is more to God than just this.  But this overview by Matthew is a good start and a reminder that God loves me, He forgives me, and wants the best for me...all I need to do is trust, love and submit to Him.  He will do all the rest.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God.   Words cannot define how great You are!  You don't need me yet You desire to not only use me as part of Your plan but You love me beyond what I can even imagine.  I am not worthy of such love and blessing.  I am lazy, impatient, and I am selfish.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me trust, love and submit to You with more of my heart, mind, and soul.