Friday, April 29, 2016

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

Psalm 68

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.  God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. v5-6

God is to us who we need and seek - "our Father in heaven".  He is this to all His children regardless of our circumstances and He demands that we focus on Him first, even when we our earthly circumstances deceive us into thinking that our earthly families are more important.

In Matthew 8, Jesus responds to a disciple that sought to attend to his family instead of focusing on God: 

Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”  But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Matthew 8:21-22

The primacy of our relationship with Jesus vs our earthly relationships is supported elsewhere in scripture:

Then Jesus’ mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him.  A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, “Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you.” 

“Who are my mother and my brothers?” he asked.

Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.” Mark 3:31-35

My Prayer: Lord, You alone are my Heavenly Father - able to do all things, knowing of all things, existing before time began and after time ends, You are in all things and hold all things together, You are my all in all.  I am deeply grateful for Your abounding love and grace and for Your son Jesus.  Thank You for sending Your Son...for me.  I am not worth such a gift...completely undeserving.  I worry far too much, and I lack patience, compassion, and kindness for others.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.