Saturday, April 30, 2016

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.

Psalm 68

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens. v19

As a believer, a core spiritual discipline is study of God's Word so that we can understand what it says in an absolute sense (head understanding) and also what God is saying to us individually (heart understanding).  I have for a long time not understood the full extent of the requirements to develop and have a personal relationship with Jesus.  The Bible (God himself - see John 1) is explicit that we love the Lord with all of heart, soul, mind and strength (Exodus 20, Matthew 22).  To express this we should delight in the law of the Lord (Psalm 1) and to develop a hunger and thirst for righteousness (Matthew 5).  In my view, the Bible is not explicit that we are to daily study God's word but it is implied through various scriptures. 

Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. Luke 9:23

Give us each day our daily bread. Luke 11:3

Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors[.] Proverbs 8:34


See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. Hebrews 12:12-13

Core to answering this question is of course our heart condition - if we truly love the Lord with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength, then we should seek Him as much as possible - daily, but likely more often than this.

My Prayer: Lord, You ARE our daily bread, I depend on You and apart from You I can do no good thing.  I desperately need You in my life.  I know You are with me until the end of the age.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of Your love.  I am broken - I am selfish, lazy, I am impatient, and I worry too often.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.