Wednesday, April 13, 2016

You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely.

Psalm 59

You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely. v17

I too often rely on myself, to control my own circumstances and the circumstances of those around me...in my arrogance I feel as if I KNOW what should be done...how foolish, arrogant and prideful! See post here.

Those who trust in themselves are fools Proverbs 28:26
 
Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.  James 4:13-17
 
Matthew gets to the root of the matter - worry:
 
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life? Matthew 6:25-27
 
I must rely on God alone who is my fortress and in whom I can ALWAYS rely.
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are my rock and my fortress and I know I can always rely on You...You do not change like the shifting shadows (James 1:17-18).  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a God as I worry too much.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from such sin.  Help me love and trust You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength. Give Lisa strength.  Please heal and cure Lisa of her cancer and the side effects from chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.