Monday, August 27, 2018

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

Hosea 6

For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings. v6.

Yesterday, Pastor Marty gave a great sermon on chapter 6 - helping us focus on how we can avoid placing other Gods above Jesus - the one true God who is before all things and in control (Colossians 1:16-17).  

Key for me is to avoid a fake or inauthentic faith - one that has an outward appearance of faith but is weak or non-existent as a matter of the heart.  Just as God looked at David's heart vs his external appearance (1 Samuel 16:7), we should focus on our heart condition and not do what God is admonishing here in Hosea 6 - don't offer sacrifice or anything else to God as a superficial gesture.

God wants our full attention and life.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Romans 12:1

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are that love me - even with all of my flaws and sins - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such a God as I often place other gods above You.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.