Friday, August 17, 2018

I, Daniel, was worn out. I lay exhausted for several days. Then I got up and went about the king’s business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding.



I, Daniel, was worn out. I lay exhausted for several days. Then I got up and went about the king’s business. I was appalled by the vision; it was beyond understanding. V27

While we as believers, with additional data points in the New Testament, can better understand Daniel’s vision of the end times, it is certainly easy to appreciate Daniel’s position of exhaustion and being appalled as a result of trying to understand the vision’s meaning – despite assistance from Gabriel.

We must come to the point in our faith where we recognize that we will never understand all things and that there will always be mysteries when it comes to God.  This is a key aspect of faith.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

Faith allows us to persist in our calling, despite any unknowns.  We can rest in the firm foundation that is Jesus Christ.

See also this post by John Piper who emphasizes this point as well yet from a slightly different angle – we can be appalled by the world but still be productive in the world.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides brothers and sisters in Christ to support me in my faith – thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love and blessing.  I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.