Thursday, October 4, 2018

At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Matthew 3

At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” v16

Some some say that Jesus did not need to be baptized because He was sinless - this is true.  Yet both John Piper and the Billy Graham organization both indicate that Jesus DID have to be baptized because He became one of us in the flesh, He participated in the same ritual of baptism that provided us with the path to righteousness. Indeed, Matthew 3:15 indicates it was "proper" for Jesus to be baptized, or appropriate.  The New Living Translation indicates Jesus said baptism "should" be done for Him to "carry out all that God requires".

As we know, in Matthew 4, Jesus begins His ministry.  He is tested in the wilderness, begins preaching, calls His first disciples, and performs His first miracles.

Also of note is that God the Father was present with Jesus as was the Holy Spirit as Jesus was to begin His ministry and God the Father deposits into Jesus an affirmation that launches Jesus into His calling.  

As part of Raising a Modern Day Knight, I learned how affirmation from a father can launch a son into manhood - affirmation is both an act at a point in time (i.e. ceremony) and encouraging words provided on a regular basis.  I am reminded how I must continue to affirm my two sons.

My Prayer:  Lord Jesus, what a great Father You are and I am blessed to have such a Father in Heaven as You that daily provides me with affirmation of love and guidance.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love.  I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.