Thursday, October 18, 2018

Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”

Matthew 8

Then Jesus said to him, “See that you don’t tell anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the gift Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.” v4

Both MacArthur and John Gill offer insights into the meaning of verse 4 with specific reference to Leviticus 14 for how those with defiled skin are to be cleansed by the priests.  Such cleansing is of course not an end in itself for the leper but instead is a means to an end for God is to be glorified in the process and such miracles are offered to serve as testimony to others to believe that Jesus is the Messiah.  On a similar note, John Piper indicates that any giftings we have that work miracles in others lives is also to glorify God.  Piper says here:

Gifts of healings and workings of miracles are not for self-exaltation but for the benefit of others. They could easily become the basis of pride just like teaching or preaching or mercy or hospitality or prophecy or any of the gifts. But they are meant to be expressions of love. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:2, "Though I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing." Gifts are not the main thing. Love is the main thing. Using gifts is one way to love. 

Jesus, please help me remain humble with regard to the use of my gifts.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are amazing and You have worked many miracles in my lives and in the lives of others - I have see Your Hand do many miraculous things!  Thank You for the many blessings You pour out for me - I am undeserving.  I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love Him.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.