Sunday, October 28, 2018

I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’you would not have condemned the innocent.

Matthew 12

I tell you that something greater than the temple is here. If you had known what these words mean, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice,’you would not have condemned the innocent. v6-7

Our faith is about leaving a mark on others - and the Pharisees focused on the ceremonial law...and about their status and about being right.  Jesus came so that we do not have to focus on the ceremonial law but focus on the moral law of loving God and loving others.  And Jesus is a fulfillment of Old Testament law...freeing us to focus on what Jesus calls the two top commandments (Matthew 22:37-40).  The Ten Commandments provide us an example of the moral law and the two top commandments as defined in commandments 1-4 (love God), and 5-10 (love others). 

When we love God, He transforms our hearts and minds to be more like His (Romans 8:5-8 , Romans 12:2) and as a natural response we want to love others because God loves all of His children.  I can see this in my own life as I know God loves me and so I am seeking service opportunities outside of the church so that others outside the church can see the love of God at work and be drawn to Him.  

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and frees from the rituals of the Old Testament ceremonial law, freeing me to love and serve Him and to love others.  Thank You Jesus for this freedom.  Yet I am undeserving of how You love and bless me as I daily miss the mark and fail to live for You and others.  Please forgive me and help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.