Saturday, October 6, 2018

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them.

Matthew 5

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, and he began to teach them. v1-2 

As Jesus begins to preach, He first teaches His disciples.  God wants us to minister to those outside the church but He also wants us to minister within the church - the church must make not just disciples but also disciple makers.  See a few of John Piper's thoughts on this here and here.  The Sermon on the Mount is for everyone but it is also the start of Jesus' three-year effort to teach and build disciple-makers from the initial 12 disciples and other early leaders of the church.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an amazing God You are that You are so full of grace, compassion and wisdom to spend time with me to help me understand Your Word for me.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not worth such love and care - I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.