Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven....Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

Matthew 7

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven....Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. v21, 24

As Jesus proclaims in 7:15-23, there are both false prophets and false disciples.  The broader point I see is the superficial nature of our faith.  Verse 24 reinforces this point by stating that faith is built upon a strong foundation of practicing spiritual disciplines, such as Bible study, prayer time, fellowship with other believers, service, corporate worship, etc.  We must not have paper thin faith.

This is demonstrated further in the Parable of the Sower which stresses the need for "good soil".

I know the dangers of building a house on sand - I've done it myself.  

Jesus, please help me build my faith on a strong foundation.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has given me faith, and helped strengthen my faith.  You have transformed my heart and life and I experience life to the full - thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love and blessing.  I daily miss the mark.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.