Monday, August 16, 2021

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?

But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? 2 Corinthians 2:14-16

This afternoon, I continued with John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  My focus today is on chapter seven The Aroma of Christ among the Nations, pages 110-120.  Here, Paul paints two pictures of mission work to help us better understand our fitness for performing what Piper calls "pioneer" or "frontier" missionaries - those going out to unreached people groups where the church has yet to be established. First, Piper starts with believers who have a great opportunity to serve right where they are in their local communities, but, like Paul in v12-13, move on to join the mission field.  Piper writes: "[a] door is wide open where you are. Much needs to be done—right where you are. But your spirit cannot rest. So it was with Paul. And amazingly, he left the open door of Troas behind and followed his restless spirit." Piper then wants us to see two pictures of mission work (1) where we are defeated and brought before a conquering King (Jesus) and led in "triumphal procession" - but as Christ is in us and we are to serve the great Victor (Jesus); (2) we then become a pleasing aroma to God and to the world. 

Piper then looks at five (5) tests to determine "fitness" for frontier or pioneer mission work:

  1. do we treasure Christ enough so that we do not peddle his word (do we love Christ more than we love money?)
  2. will we speak from sincerity (no pretense or hypocrisy)
  3. will you speak as from God (not in your own power)
  4. will you speak as before God (not judged by other people)
  5. will you speak as in Christ (is our confidence and identity in Christ?)

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God and You have placed so many inspiring missionaries in my life and I have an awesome glimpse of mission work and Your glory through them!  Thank You Jesus for the great work You are doing through them and for the strength, inspiration, and power I get from these people!  You are an awesome God and Your church provides strength for me.  I am not deserving of how You bless me through the church.  I am weak, often selfish, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.