Thursday, August 19, 2021

Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Matthew 10

Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. Matthew 10:31

This morning, I continued with John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  My focus today is on chapter ten “I Am Sending You Out as Sheep in the Midst of Wolves”, pages 146-157.  Here, Piper's primary objective is to highlight the six costs and ten blessings of frontier mission work, using Matthew 10:16-31 as his reference point. 

Costs:

  1. Being arrested (v10:16-18)
  2. Family betrayal (v10:21)
  3. Being hated by all (v10:22)
  4. Being persecuted and driven out of town (v10:23)
  5. Being killed (v10:28)

Blessings

  1. Being sent by Christ (v10:16)
  2. Being given words by the Spirit of God (v10:19-20)
  3. Blessings of experiencing God's Fatherly care (v10:20)
  4. Blessing of salvation at the end of it all (v10:22)
  5. Blessing of knowing the Son of Man is coming in judgement and mercy (v10:23)
  6. Blessing of belonging to Jesus' household (v10:25)

Piper knows that not all are hearing the call to join the frontier mission field, yet he provides these words as a means to help "us count the costs [of frontier mission work] so there is no romantic naivete about missions.  And he does it be filling us with a longing to know these blessings to the full."  

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has blessed me in immeasurable, indescribable ways - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You pour out blessings for me.  My sin of worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.