Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do....“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

Galatians 1-2 and Romans 10:14-17

Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do....“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” Galatians 2:10 and Romans 10:15

This morning, I continued with John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  My focus today is on chapter nine Gospel to the Nations, Generosity to the Poor, pages 134-144.  Here, Piper largely leans on Galatians 1-2 and Romans 10:14-17 to illustrate how God calls us to reach the unreached and the poor which for most of the world is the same according to Piper.  Piper starts by looking at Galatians 1 where Paul urges the Galatians not to abandon their faith by following false teaching. We must believe in grace alone, and faith in Christ alone - nothing else. Piper describes how Paul met with the apostles in Jerusalem and demonstrated his faith by "not yield[ing] in submission even for a moment" (Galatians 2:5) to false teaching, and how this led the apostles to agree on how Peter would continue to preach to the Jews and Paul would preach to the (unreached) Gentiles.  Regardless of two approaches - there was unity in the overall mission (Galatians 2:9) - to seek and save the lost.  Piper writes how Galatians 2:6-9 describe what how the founding apostles and Paul protect against one of the churches earliest threats.  Piper then wants us to see how all of the apostles and Paul sought also to unify around a key aspect of missions to reach the unreached and the poor - which, again, Piper sees as often one and the same. He describes the 10/40 window, and how this area is home to some of the largest unreached people groups in the world.  We encouraged to see how God is calling us to serve this vast group of the unreached poor.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and You have blessed me beyond what I deserve and helped through great difficulties...You have never left or forsaken me and I continue to see Your hand in my life and in all things.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me and protect me.  My sin continues...harsh words for others, worry, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.