Monday, August 9, 2021

[T]hus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel[.]

In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God. For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience—by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God—so that from Jerusalem and all the way around to Illyricum I have fulfilled the ministry of the gospel of Christ; and thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written, “Those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.” Romans 15:17-21

As I wrapped my study of Romans, one particular verse (v15:20) from Romans sticks with me and my commentary that I used referred to Paul's ambition as a "holy ambition."  We are all urged to have a holy ambition like Paul's, and so I now move on to John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  This afternoon, my focus is on the Introduction - pages 11-19. 

Piper states that the holy ambition from Romans 15:20 have three direct implications for our lives (as believers):

  1. that we all have a holy ambition
  2. that we see an immeasurable need (for the gospel)
  3. that we (corporately and/or individually) have a global strategy to meet the immeasurable need 

Piper goes on to state that each of us should have a holy ambition but that not everyone should have Paul's holy ambition as each has its own gifting. He writes that our holy ambition "comes from a personal encounter with the living Christ (not necessarily as dramatic as the Damascus road), shaped and informed and empowered by the written word of God."

If we don't feel like we have a holy ambition, Piper suggests that we "saturate" ourselves "with the word of God and ask him for it."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has grown in my heart and life and I feel filled!  Thank You Jesus!  Yet I am undeserving of how You bless me in so many ways.  I have sin of anger, worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today an every day.