Tuesday, August 3, 2021

For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings.

Romans 15

For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings. Romans 15:27

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter nineteen Great Commission Christians, which covers Romans 15:14-15:33.  My focus today is v15:25-27, which my commentary refers to under the heading "Support the Work of Mercy Ministry." Building on my post yesterday, Paul now specifically calls out financial or material support to missionaries and to church planting.  Paul's words imply an obligation or responsibility - as you share in the spiritual blessings (which we all do), we "ought" to share in the material blessings. For me, this underscores the command to "tithe" and to be a "cheerful giver". 

My commentary emphasizes how in these verses Paul went to great lengths go from Corinth to Jerusalem, then to Rome and on to Spain - a total of three thousand miles - to support church plants and missionaries. According to the commentary, he had collected aid from churches in Galatia, Macedonia, and Achaia (1 Corinthians 16:1-5, 2 Corinthians 8:1-24) and it is speculated that he was describing this aid to the Romans to "spur" their generosity.  The sense of family among believers is also emphasized as Gentiles are spurred to give to Jews (and vice-versa), it should be because of the bond among believers as brothers and sisters in Christ and how both are children of God - cutting across geographic, cultural, and ethnic lines. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has provided me with brothers and sisters in Christ who support and encourage me - thank You Jesus!  I feel sharpened by You through them!  Thank You!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin weighs heavy and I know You hate sin - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.