Wednesday, August 4, 2021

...[S]o that by God's will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company.

Romans 15

...[S]o that by God's will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company. Romans 15:32

This morning, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter nineteen Great Commission Christians, which covers Romans 15:14-15:33.  My focus today is v15:28-29, 32, which my commentary refers to under the heading "Refresh Those on the Front Lines." As I continue to unpack what my commentary refers to as Paul's missionary letter (Romans 15), I come back to a theme I addressed a couple of days ago - how believers can support those in the mission field, even those in local ministries who might not be many miles away from home.  Although I have never been in the role, my sense is that being a missionary in a far off place or even starting a local ministry can be a lonely and challenging place as people are called by what I posted about a few days ago - holy ambition.  While we can provide financial and material support, we can also pray, encourage, and support in other ways - Paul refers to this in v15:32 as being "refreshed."

My commentary refers to this as "relational refreshment" and refers to John Piper's message how "God loves to refresh people through people." We are encouraged to "refresh one another...leadership...those overseas...[and to] make the ministry of refreshment part of our regular Christian lives, through personal visits, by communicating through available means, and by practicing hospitality, all with gospel-saturated words of encouragement."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are amazing and You have placed others in my life that refresh me - thank Your Jesus.  However, I have often fallen down in being a refreshment to others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.