Sunday, August 15, 2021

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations.

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, that your way may be known on earth, your saving power among all nations. Psalm 67:1-2

This morning, I continued with John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  My focus today is on chapter six Let the Peoples Praise You, O God! Let All the Peoples Praise You!, pages 94-109. Here, Piper looks at Psalm 67 and unpacks what we should understand about missions. Piper first points out how this Psalm is "rooted" in the Abrahamic Covenant from Genesis 12:2-3.  We must understand how Abraham is blessed so that he will be blessing...not just the Jews, but "all the families of the earth" (Genesis 12:3).  Piper makes this clear by referencing Paul and how he writes that anyone who is in Christ (including the Gentiles) is "an heir of all his blessings" (Galatians 3) - this was always part of God's design and plan.  We are then (using Psalm 67) reminded of God's purpose is "to be known and praised and enjoyed and feared among all the peoples of the earth" - this includes God's purpose for the world and missions.  Piper's key message for us - particularly for those in the West and more pointedly for Americans - is that God blesses so that we are a blessing to the unreached. We must be good stewards of this blessing and not waste it - otherwise it becomes a curse.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who has blessed me - blessed me indeed!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues - sin of worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.