Tuesday, August 10, 2021

In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved.

In love he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. Ephesians 1:4-6

This afternoon, I continue with John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  My focus today is on chapter one The Story of His Glory - pages 17-35. As a starting point for better understanding our holy ambition, Piper wants to ensure we understand God's glory and that we exist for God's glory. Piper states that "in order for us to have a heart for unreached peoples that is strong enough, durable enough, God-centered enough to be the kind of heart it should be, we need to base this hear for the nations on the same foundation on which God bases his heart for the nations." Piper then goes on of course to say that "God's heart for the nations is built on God's heart for God....God does everything for the sake of magnifying his glory."  We must also understand, according to Piper that God's self-exaltation is "for the enjoyment of his people...[e]verything good that you ever longed for will be satisfied in him."  Piper goes all the way back to Genesis and Creation to remind us that we were created in his image (Genesis 1:27) and that images exist to display God's glory.  Jesus exists for God for God's glory...and God is "well-pleases with Jesus" (Matthew 3:17).  Time and time again in the Old Testament God acts for "the sake of [his] name."  Understanding all of this is a key precursor to understanding why Jesus "came to purchase people from every ethnic group and the church sends out missionaries."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed worthy of my praise and worship - on the count of my salvation alone You are worthy.  But You are worthy for so much more and then some!  My description, nor can my human brain fully comprehend how and why You are worthy.  Thank You Jesus for pouring out the many blessings for me that You pour out for me - I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues daily....many times a day.  I am broken and sinful...and in need of You.  Desperately.  Please forgive me for my sin today - worry and so much more.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.