Sunday, August 1, 2021

[T]hus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written,'those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.'

Romans 15

[T]hus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written,'those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.' Romans 15:20-21

This evening, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter nineteen Great Commission Christians, which covers Romans 15:14-15:33.  My focus today is v15:20-21, which my commentary refers to under the heading "Have a Passion for the Gospel and a Heart for People." Coming back to when I started this chapter in my commentary, Paul's focus is on spreading the gospel, and today, this is front and center. Paul wants to preach the gospel - that all are to hear God's word and understand. There are so many lost in the world, and we are to reach as many as we can. My commentary seeks for us to have the same ambition as Paul (v15:20) - and it refers to this ambition as "holy" ambition.  We must all, regardless of our gifts - as not everyone can do as Paul did - reach the lost. My commentary uses Paul's words to Timothy (2 Timothy 1:6), to "fan into flame the gift of God." We are also encouraged to see Paul's reference to Isaiah 52:15 in v15:21 and how Paul sees his holy ambition to fulfill Biblical expectations how God's word spreads throughout the world.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and Your message is a matter of life or death for everyone and it is my wish that You use me to spread Your Word - as I have seen first hand how You work and I desire this for everyone.  Thank You Jesus for how You have blessed me.  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  I worry and I have other sins.  Please forgive for my sins and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.