Friday, August 27, 2021

He shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him. - Part 2

Leviticus 1

He shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him. Leviticus 1:4

This afternoon, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing a review 1:1-7, looking at the theme God Provides the Means of Atonement.  My post yesterday, which also looked at v1:4, focused on how our sin requires atonement and today the focus is on how God provides a means for atonement.  This means of atonement as described in my commentary should be taken seriously, and unfortunately the Israelites too often offered sacrifices as empty rituals. The commentary highlights Psalm 40:6-8, demonstrating that God cares about our heart condition, desire for Him, and a desire to please and glorify Him

In sacrifice and offering you have not delighted, but you have given me an open ear. Burnt offering and sin offering you have not required.  Then I said, “Behold, I have come; in the scroll of the book it is written of me: I delight to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.” Psalm 40:6-8

We must be prepared to truly repent of our sins and draw near to God.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides a means for atonement - thank You Jesus!  I need to be forgiven and I need salvation - You provide both!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love - my sin continues.  Worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.