Thursday, August 5, 2021

I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf, that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints[.]

Romans 15

I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf, that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints[.] Romans 15:30-31

This afternoon, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I continued with chapter nineteen Great Commission Christians, which covers Romans 15:14-15:33.  My focus today is v15:30-33, which my commentary refers to under the heading "Pray for Those on the Front Lines." Paul is indeed on the front lines, and as he aspires to preach the gospel throughout the region to Spain (v15:28) and elsewhere as part of his "holy ambition," he faces resistance, persecution, loneliness, financial strain, etc.  John tells that our journey with Christ will not be without troubles (John 16:33).  Paul asks, indeed "appeal[s]" (v15:30), for prayer - to join him in prayer.  I strive to be generous with my prayer - even as I know I fall short on this.  I pray to be generous in my prayer.  James encourages us to pray as we should understand it is powerful:

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. James 5:16

From today's verses, my commentary seeks to have believers understand six aspects of prayer:  

  • it is a privilege
  • we love others through our prayers
  • we should pray passionately and persistently
  • we should pray for those on the front lines and for their work to bear fruit
  • we should pray with awareness that God may not answer our prayers as we envision
  • we should pray not just for immediate needs but for long term desires (and heart change) 

In particular, I know if I more clearly recognize the first two aspects I will move closer to delivering on the last four. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed a great God and I know that You have placed others in my life who have prayer for me.  I have felt these prayers and I know as a result You responded with power and movement in my life.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how others have prayed for me as I have sinned greatly and it weighs heavy.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.