Saturday, August 21, 2021

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[b] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[b] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20

This afternoon, I continued with John Piper's book Holy Ambition.  My focus today is on chapter twelve Missions Exists Because Worship Doesn’t, pages 170-179.  Here, Piper outlines ten (10) Biblical convictions that drive missions: 

  1. The fame of God's name: "God is passionately committed to the fame of his name, and that he be worshiped by all the peoples of the world—and this is not egomania; it is love.  Missions, global outreach, is about joining God in his passion to love the nations by offering himself to them for
    the overflowing joy of their praise." Psalm 96:3, Isaiah 12:4, Romans 15:9, Romans 9:17
  2. A goal and a fuel for missions: "worship is the goal and the fuel of missions; missions exists because worship doesn’t. Psalm 22:27
  3. Faith comes from hearing. Acts 4:12, Romans 10:17, 1 John 5:12, Matthew 28:19
  4. Worshipers from every people. Revelation 5:9-10
  5. Frontier missionaries: "there is a critical need for Paul-type missionaries whose calling and passion is to take the gospel to peoples where there is no access to the gospel at all." Romans 15:20
  6. Worthy of God: "We must send global partners in a manner worthy of God." 3 John 6
  7. Wartime mindset: "It is fitting for us to have a wartime mindset in the use of our resources as long as peoples are without the gospel and we have resources to send it." 2 Corinthians 8:2
  8. Wartime walkie talkie: "Prayer is a wartime walkie-talkie, not a domestic intercom....One of the reasons our prayer malfunctions is that we try to treat it like a domestic intercom for calling the
    butler when we want another pillow in the den. But prayer is mainly for those on the front lines of the war effort, so they can call in to headquarters to send help. John 15:16
  9. Suffering is the plan: "Suffering is not only the price for being in missions; it is God’s plan for getting the job done. This is not just the price many must pay. This is God’s strategy for victory. Matthew 10:25, Matthew 24:9, Matthew 10:16, Revelation 12:11
  10. The mission will succeed. Matthew 28:19, Matthew 16:18, Matthew 24:14

Piper recognizes that not all will become goers, so he urges all of us who might not to be a sender and to encourage, pray and support those in the mission field.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me with those who have shared the gospel with me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the salvation You provided me.  I have great sin and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.