Saturday, August 7, 2021

Then the Spirit came on Amasai, chief of the Thirty, and he said: “We are yours, David! We are with you, son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you.” So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands.

 Romans 16

Then the Spirit came on Amasai, chief of the Thirty, and he said: “We are yours, David! We are with you, son of Jesse! Success, success to you, and success to those who help you, for your God will help you.”  So David received them and made them leaders of his raiding bands. 1 Chronicles 12:18

This afternoon, I continued my study of Romans.  Using my commentary - Exalting Jesus in Romans (eBook) - I moved to chapter twenty Christian Friendship, which covers Romans 16.  My focus today is once again v16:1-16, which my commentary covers from another perspective and refers to these verses under the heading How Christian Friendship Is Established. My commentary from today echoes my post from yesterday where I shared how a shared passion for Christ is the strongest bond one can have one another - it is how Christian friendship is established. The commentary states: "[b]ecause Spirit-filled Christians share a common salvation and a shared passion for Christ and his kingdom, people who may have otherwise never spent time together can become great friends.  They can share life together on mission, even though they may come from radically different backgrounds....Jesus, the friend of sinners, creates remarkable spiritual friendships.  The gospel not only changes one's personal identity; it also establishes a new community."

For men, I am reminded how David had his mighty men (see post here) during a time of trial when he was on the run from Saul, who was seeking to kill him.  

Our brothers in Christ serve many roles as I posted yesterday, but today I highlight how they come to our side during a time of need. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has provided me with amazing brothers and sisters in Christ, and in particular, might men, who come to my side during times of need.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  I am often selfish and too often think of myself. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.