Wednesday, January 12, 2022

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

2 Corinthians 9

And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8

This morning, until I start a new Bible study, I continue using devotionals from John Piper.  Today, the post focuses on generosity (the broader context of 2 Corinthians 9:8) and how God's grace, both in the past and in the future, serves as the motivation for such generosity. Piper refers to the role of past grace by referring to 2 Corinthians 8:9:

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9

Piper states: "[w]ithout this historical work of grace, the door of Christ-exalting generosity would remain closed. That past grace is an indispensable key to love. But notice how the past grace in this verse functions. It is made the foundation (Christ became poor) of future grace (that we might become rich). Thus, the historical key to our generosity operates by putting a foundation under the experiential key of faith in future grace."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You grace is amazing and it abounds both historically when You became like us and died on the cross, and in the future - thank You Jesus!  I can no good things without You.  Thank You for Your grace and how it serves as the foundation for good works in my life - I am not deserving of Your grace - not one bit. My sin of worry, etc. continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength. Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.