Friday, January 21, 2022

Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account....Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.

Matthew 5 and Luke 10

 Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account....Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven. Matthew 5:11 and Luke 10:20

This morning, until I start a new Bible study, I continue using devotionals from John Piper.  Today, the post focuses on what Piper refers to as the "tyranny of worldly pain and pleasure."  He gets right to it by stating that "Jesus revealed a secret that protects our happiness from the threat of suffering and the threat of success. That secret is this: Great is your reward in heaven." He refers us to John 17:24 for a description of the promised "fullness of the glory of Jesus Christ[.]" The world sees suffering as a threat to joy and scripture warns us that earthly success is also a threat to success in that it promises something that is a myth. Piper wants us to see that "[o]ur joy is safe. Neither suffering nor success can destroy its anchor. Great is your reward in heaven. Your name is written there. It is secure."

See also my various posts on peace of mind

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God - You are saving a place for me in Heaven.  This I know and I can rest in this promise.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin of worry and other sins continue. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.