Monday, January 3, 2022

So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

Romans 9

So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.  Romans 9:16

This morning, until I start a new Bible study, I continue using devotionals from John Piper.  Today, the post focuses on how, regardless of the maturity of our faith, all believers are never "above the status of beneficiaries of [God's] mercy. We are always utterly dependent on what we do not deserve." Piper highlights that Jesus came into the world because of His mercy for us:

Piper also refers us to Luke 17 both 5-6 and 7-10: 

The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” And the Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.

“Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and recline at table’? Will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink’? Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”

It is our faith that matters, not our obedience, because it is out of our faith that obedience is brought about (Romans 16:26)...and regardless of our obedience we are all beneficiaries of God's mercy.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You mercy and grace are amazing - I receive every day...all day long.  Thank You Jesus for Your amazing mercy and grace.  I am clearly not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.