Friday, January 7, 2022

[T]hrough many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.

Acts 14

[T]hrough many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God. Acts 14:22

This morning, until I start a new Bible study, I continue using devotionals from John Piper.  Today, the post focuses on how God often denies a prayer for grace yet responds with another form of grace that we are unable to perhaps see in the moment but able to see later in hindsight.  We should understand that from the Fall (Genesis 3), human existence moved from the perfection of the Garden of Eden, to a world full of sin and hardship. Jesus tells us in the gospel of John (John 16:33) how we are to expect hardship but that we will overcome (ultimately) anything hardship we experience. In today's post, Piper emphasizes how we are to see grace in the form of denied prayer - we don't know God's ways or thoughts (Isaiah 55:8) - but we do know that for those who love God, He works all things work together for good (Romans 8:28). Piper refers us to 2 Corinthians 12:9 where Paul shares how God denied his request to remove a "thorn":

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Let us pray that we can mindful of how God works in and through our weakness to accomplish great things. 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who has poured out an indescribable amount of grace on my life - of course when I am undeserving and also when I cannot even recognize it in the face of suffering.  Thank You Jesus!  I AM not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.