Wednesday, January 19, 2022

[R]endering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free.

Ephesians 6

[R]endering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free. Ephesians 6:7-8

This morning, until I start a new Bible study, I continue using devotionals from John Piper.  Today, the post encourages us to understand how, in our work, believers work for the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Piper asks us to consider five things about our work:

  1. A call to radically Lord-centered living: unlike most earthly career advice where we are the "masters of our own domain", believers must consider that we exist to glorify God, and this is a radical concept for non-believers.  
  2. A call to be a good person: this extends beyond our professional life such that anything and everything we do be seen as good so that we are seen as a light in a world of darkness; we are referred to Matthew 5:16
  3. Power to do a good job for inconsiderate earthly employers
  4. Encouragement that nothing good is done in vain: "Every little thing you do that is good is seen and valued and rewarded by the Lord."
  5. Encouragement that insignificant status on earth is no hindrance to great reward in Heaven

I often struggle with earthly status with regard to my work - great encouragement today indeed.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed amazing and You provide my income and my job - and You have provided through good times and bad times and You have never left or forsaken me.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.