Thursday, January 6, 2022

...[L]et us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Hebrews 10

...[L]et us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:22

This morning, until I start a new Bible study, I continue using devotionals from John Piper.  Today, the post focuses on Piper's (and God's) call for all believers to draw near to God.  Piper refers us to Psalm 16:11 where we see a great promise that results from our nearness to God:

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. Psalm 16:11

There are many promises in scripture that discuss the blessings of nearness to God - examples include:

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18
 
Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds. Psalm 73:27-28
 
Piper wraps the devotion for today by stating: "[God] does not need us. If we stay away, he is not impoverished. He does not need us in order to be happy in the fellowship of the Trinity. But he magnifies his mercy by giving us free access through his Son, in spite of our sin, to the one Reality that can satisfy our souls completely and forever, namely, himself."
 
 
My Prayer: Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who blesses me as I draw near to You.  You and Your Word are a lamp to my feet - I am lost without You and I am blessed by Your direction.  Thank You Jesus for entering my heart and life.  I am not deserving of Your love, blessing, and salvation.  My sin of worry persists, as does other sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.