Monday, January 30, 2023

And being made perfect, [Jesus] became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him.

Hebrews 5

And being made perfect, [Jesus] became the source of eternal salvation to all who obey him. Hebrews 5:9

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 5:1-10, and my initial unaided observations of this text. Here, the author of Hebrews compares the role the high priest during the Old Testament, using Aaron as an example, and during the New Testament, where upon His death and resurrection, Jesus was "appointed" (v5) as Great High Priest. The comparison first looks at how both the Old Testament high priests and Jesus possessed (of course Jesus still does) the ability to sympathize with those who were weak because of their own humanity (v2). This weakness inevitably leads to sin, except of course for Jesus, and this sin requires sacrifice to atone for sin (v3). The text then refers to the high priest's act of offering sacrifice for sin for not just himself, but also for others, as an honor (v3-4).  The text indicates that "no one takes this honor for himself, but only when called by God" (v4). Jesus assumed the role of Great High Priest not to "exalt himself" (v5), to fulfill prophecy referred to in v5-6, 10 where Psalm 2:7 and 110:4 are both quoted. Christ's humanity is further explored in v7 where Jesus prayed to God to save him from death on the cross, and the text shares how God heard these prayers "because of [Jesus' reverence]."  V8-9 then describe Christ as obedient, the perfect sacrifice, and as "the source of eternal salvation to all who obey Him."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - taking my sin and all of humanity's sin upon Yourself, sacrificing Your life for all of us...even though You lived a perfect, spotless live.  Thank You Jesus for this gift of grace - amazing indeed and I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.