Friday, January 20, 2023

Therefore I was provoked with that generation, and said, ‘They always go astray in their heart; they have not known my ways.’ As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest.’”

Hebrews 3

Therefore I was provoked with that generation, and said, ‘They always go astray in their heart; they have not known my ways.’ As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest.’” Hebrews 3:10-11

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 3:7-19, as I build on my post yesterday, and lean on commentary for this text.  I start with the commentary's overview of this text "Exhort and Encourage for the Sake of Faith," and then move to what the commentary describes as the first division "Learning from a Bad Example," which looks at Hebrews 3:7-11. The commentary highlights the text's first few words that follow "therefore", which sadly I overlooked in my initial reading yesterday.  These words are "as the Holy Spirit says," and the commentary indicates: "[the author of Hebrews] prefaces a quotation of the Psalms with the words, “as the Holy Spirit says.” In doing so, the author dramatically affirms the divine inspiration of Scripture."  The commentary then outlines how the use of these words accomplish two tasks: "[f]irst, it teaches us that God is the author of Scripture. It teaches us, “men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:21)....When we hear Scripture, read Scripture, study Scripture, or encounter Scripture in any way, we can be confident God is speaking to us.  Second, it affirms the living character of Scripture. The author does not use the past tense. He does not say, “The Holy Spirit said.” He uses the present tense. Every time we open the Bible, the Holy Spirit speaks. Even though the biblical authors recorded these words long ago, they are still living words.  The author of Hebrews explicitly argues this in the next chapter: “For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword” (Hebrews 4:12)."  The commentary then shares how the text uses the word "today" in v7 and how this emphasizes the urgency of believing today, not to put off any decision of faith.  It then moves to share why the author used the story of how the Israelites wandered through the wilderness and lost faith - we are exhorted to remain faithful.  "[The author] wants [readers] to make it to the true land of rest." Of course this true land of rest is through faith in Jesus Christ. The commentary defines rest as "safety, security, and salvation."  The commentary wraps its examination of Hebrews 3:7-11 by indicating the serious and sobering nature of either not believing or losing faith as the Israelites did in the wilderness: "[j]ust as he did with Israel, God will shut out from his rest those who rebel, walk in unfaithfulness, and presume on the grace of God. Like faithless Israel, those who presume on the grace of God will die on the wrong side of the Jordan. We must hold firmly today lest we wake up outside God’s eternal rest." Hold firm in your faith!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God - thank You for how You help me remain firm in my faith - by providing Your Word, the Holy Spirit, my church, brothers and sisters in Christ, etc.  Thank You Jesus for these blessings.  I am not deserving of such blessings. My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.