Thursday, January 5, 2023

For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or again, I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”? And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,“Let all God's angels worship him.”

 Hebrews 1

For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or again, I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”? And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,“Let all God's angels worship him.” Hebrews 1:5-6

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 1:5-6, the second division of 1:1-14 as described by my commentary.  Here, my commentary describes how "[t]hrough the author of Hebrews, the Holy Spirit is providing his own inerrant, infallible commentary on the Old Testament. In other words, we are learning from the author of Hebrews himself the importance of reading Scripture in the light of the rest of Scripture, specifically in the light of the New Testament." The commentary indicates that the following Old Testament passages are quoted/referenced in Hebrews 1:5-6:

The commentary for this division wraps by stating: "[t]he argument is clear. The angels worship Christ; it is not Christ who worships the angels. The angels declare the birth of Christ; it is not Christ who declares the ministry of angels. The angels are not called sons, but that is the very name that Christ himself, the Davidic Messiah, has inherited."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who blesses me with Yourself as You reveal Yourself generously!  Thank You Jesus that I can come to know You and through this love You!  I am blessed!  Yet I am undeserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo, etc.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.