Wednesday, January 4, 2023

...having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

 Hebrews 1

...having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs. Hebrews 1:4

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 1:4, the first division of 1:1-14 as described by my commentary.  Prior to an examination of Hebrews 1:4, my commentary highlights how Hebrews opens by focusing on who Jesus is, then moving on to what He has done.  This approach is deemed important, reminding us "to keep first things first. “Who is this Christ?” is the first question we must address when we talk about Jesus."  The commentary then jumps into Hebrews 1:4, explaining that the author of Hebrews devoted energy to discussing angels and how they compare to Jesus because the audience was Jewish and familiar with the Old Testament, and because the Intertestamental Period (or Second Temple Judaism as referred to by my commentary) "demonstrates an intense focus on angels."  My commentary shares that "[d]ue to this fascination with angels, the author of Hebrews, writing to a Jewish audience who was familiar with Second Temple literature, needed to recalibrate the theological understanding of his audience—particularly concerning Christ’s relationship to angels."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, and You are more superior than anyone or anything in the universe - You created the universe and all of its inhabitants and You hold all of it in Your hands.  You suffered and died for me and You share Yourself with me - thank You Jesus for all of these blessings and more!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.