Saturday, January 14, 2023

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham.

Hebrews 2

Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham. Hebrews 2:14-16

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is a look specifically at Hebrews 2:14-16, the second of three divisions from Hebrews 2:10-18, and this division is entitled "The Incursion by the Incarnate Son" by the commentary.  The commentary first shares how these verses "show us how Christ brings sinners into a position of sonship with the Creator." It then highlights how in v14 Christ "partook of the same things": "Though he was the Creator of all, he became hungry. He grew tired. He ate, drank, slept, ached, and “shared in these” things that all humanity knows and experiences. This is the first and one of the most fundamental truths of the gospel story. God became a man. He became like us."  Yet incarnation alone is described as being insufficient to "secure our redemption" as Christ came to defeat both death (which He did through the resurrection) and the devil.  We are encouraged to see how Satan is real and referred to text such as 1 Peter 5:8, John 8:44, 2 Corinthians 2:10-11, 11:14, John 10:10, Matthew 4:1-11, and 1 Corinthians 7:5.  The commentary shares that while Satan is not ultimately defeated and destroyed until end times, "Christ’s penal and substitutionary atonement completely exhausts Satan’s powers of accusation. Thus, while the devil may continue to prowl about, he prowls with a limp. He has been stripped of his most destructive weapons. His accusations against God’s people do not stick." Be encouraged how Jesus gives us victory over the sting of death and sin!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God - thank You for freeing me from the slavery of death and sin!  The greatest gift of all time!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.