Friday, January 27, 2023

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.

Hebrews 4

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. Hebrews 4:14

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. I maintain my focus Hebrews 4:14-16, as I move on to what the commentary describes as the first division "Holding Fast to Our Confession," which looks at Hebrews 4:14. The commentary starts by highlighting how the text describes Jesus as as a Great High Priest: "[a]s the great high priest, Jesus redefined the office because, even though he was tempted in every way as we are, he never sinned and he has passed through the heavens into the very throne room of God to be our mediator."  It then moves to highlight how our confession involves a confession of the historical Jesus, and one of faith to the gospel as written in God's Word. Our confession of the historical work of Jesus is shared as "not distant from our own experiences. Even though he has passed through the heavens as our great high priest, Jesus identifies with human beings in his own humanity."  The commentary's description of our confession of the gospel - using Romans 10:9 as an example, is that it is "not a sacred mantra or a kind of secret linguistic key. It is the very identity of the Christ we follow and the very heart of the confession we make. Christians believe and confess Jesus Christ as the resurrected Lord."  The commentary wraps by urging believers not to "abandon this confession [as Israel did in the wilderness], particularly in the face of temptation and trial." Hold fast!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God and You saved me - and I know this is not something written about in a book - but a divine and supernatural act of salvation that gives me life to the full now and for eternity in Heaven!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a blessing, nor any of the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.