Tuesday, January 24, 2023

So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.

Hebrews 4

So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Hebrews 4:9-10

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 4:1-13, as I move on to what the commentary describes as the second division "Entering by Urgency," which looks at Hebrews 4:3-10. The commentary describes how the text, since Hebrews 3:7, maintains an emphasis on how believers can only enter "God's rest" through believe and faith in Jesus Christ.  It states that this repetition is important because "[t]his is a message stubborn sinners need to hear over and over again."  The commentary then highlights how the text uses the word "today" (2x in v7) to urge those hearing the gospel message to not delay in placing their faith in Christ: "God has appointed today for us so that we might respond to his call in faith and not harden our hearts. We cannot presume upon tomorrow. Today may be the only day we have left. But as long as you have today, you have an invitation to faith." The commentary wraps for this division by stating: "[l]ike John 3:16, Hebrews 4:10 powerfully captures the message of the gospel in a single verse. The gospel is not morality. The gospel is not external religion. Nor is it a seven-step program for obtaining a better life. The gospel is the message of Christ’s accomplishments on our behalf so that we might “rest” from our works by trusting in his work. When we trust in Christ’s work, we rest from trusting our own."  Believe in Jesus Christ, who died for the sins of all humanity, so that You can enter God's rest! 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank You for giving me rest from a works-based salvation and rest for eternity!  I am not deserving of such a gift - the greatest gift of all time.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.