Monday, January 23, 2023

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.

Hebrews 4

Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. Hebrews 4:1-2

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 4:1-13, as I build on my post yesterday, and lean on commentary for this text.  I start with the commentary's overview of this text "Let Us Enter His Rest," and then move to what the commentary describes as the first division "Entering by Faith," which looks at Hebrews 4:1-2.  The commentary for this text starts by exploring what is meant by God's rest and it shares: "The [promised] land was indicative of God’s promise to Abraham and signified God’s plan to restore creation after the fall corrupted it....It meant enjoying and entering God’s plan of salvation and inhabiting the very place where God set his dwelling....While [the Israelites] may have physically entered the territory of Canaan, they never truly entered into the spiritual rest that the territory typified." The author of Hebrews uses this text to remind the audience of how their ancestors failed to enter God's rest when the entered the promised land, and also to warn them that now that the Good News of Jesus has been preached, they should not fail to believe and trust once again.  The first key point raised by the commentary indicates that "simply hearing the message of the gospel is insufficient for salvation." We are referred to Matthew 13:10-15 (which in turn refers to Isaiah 6). The second key point is that "the only appropriate response to the gospel is faith. Israel heard the promises and warnings of God but did not respond with faith. As a result, they perished in the wilderness." The third key point is that intellectual understanding of the Good News is not enough - you must believe and have faith.  The final key point raised by the commentary for the text this morning is that "the message of salvation was not different for those in the Old Testament....This text, however, demonstrates that the same “good news” preached in the new covenant was also preached in the old covenant. Of course, now that Christ has come and fully revealed the Father (John 14:8-9), new covenant believers have a fuller picture and a greater understanding of how God has acted to save. Nevertheless, old covenant saints were saved by faith in the promises of God just as we are today. Paul makes this clear in Romans 4:1-25 when he argues that Abraham was justified by faith." Pray to God to "spiritually hear His Word, have faith - believe, and lean on all of scripture both the Old and New Testament as the inerrant Word of God.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You for giving me Your Word and for my salvation!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.