Tuesday, January 3, 2023

But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”

 Hebrews 1

But of the Son he says, “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.” Hebrews 1:8-9

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is an initial observation of Hebrews 1:4-14.  In these verses, the core message is that Jesus sits at the right hand of God in Heaven and is superior to angels because He is God - an exact imprint of the Father (see also post yesterday).  Verse 4 builds on the previous verses and v5 and v13 include rhetorical questions challenging those who don't see Jesus as superior to angels. Verses 6-12 and v13-14 include contrasting attributes (v6, 8-12, 14) of Jesus vs angels (v7, 13).  Core to the entire text this morning are v8-12 where core attributes of God are described, including: permanent nature of His Kingdom (v8, 11-12), upright/righteous (v8), love righteousness and hate sin (v9), anointed above all others (v9), author of creation and Heaven (v10). 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who speaks to me - thank You Jesus for sharing Yourself with me through Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and Your Word!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom, energy, and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.